We were contacted by an airline catering business seeking support to implement advanced business leadership programmes.
The objective was to build on insights gained from earlier initiatives, designing a course that helped senior managers establish what good leadership is, and apply that knowledge to current business challenges…
A three-and-a-half-day leadership development programme emerged from the design process with a number of critical elements, including:
- The business case for stronger leadership, including input on the corporate strategy and an intimate conversation with a board member
- 360-degree feedback via the Leadership Practices Inventory, helping leaders develop awareness of their strengths and weaknesses, creating an appetite for change
- One-to-one coaching, providing personal reflection time and the opportunity for a more in-depth look at how individuals could develop as business leaders
- Use of Kouzes and Posner’s Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership as a basis for discussion and experiential learning
Following prototype design work, a pilot programme took place in Asia. Based on this experience the top 120 leaders from across the globe attended the workshop over a period of 18 months.
How successful was the programme?
Each participant left their event with detailed knowledge of the future direction of the business, and an opportunity to plan their personal and team contribution.
A shared understanding of what leadership means to their organisation, plus their own personal strengths and weaknesses, provided fuel for personal growth.
These events contributed to greater global collaboration among senior leaders in the business, breaking free from pre-existing silos. Significant improvement in employee engagement was reported in the period after the workshops.
Creating appetite for change
Aside from the quality of the workshops themselves, many participants said that using an evidenced-based model like The Leadership Challenge set this workshop experience apart.
As a direct consequence of senior managers attending the programme, Quest Leadership was invited to support several other development activities, including:
- Leadership development programmes for partner businesses
- Design and delivery of the leadership module within the high potential programme
- Facilitation of international management team sessions
- One-to-one development of key individuals